Wednesday 13 April 2011

Tae Yul's diary entry on his life in the army (2)

Dear Diary,
                 The training started without much delay. The next few weeks were simply a complete blur to me. We had to wake up at 0430 hours everyday, dress and straighten the barracks, line up outside for roll call, run to the mess hall, had breakfast, then our orders for the day. I'm not complaining about the tough training, that I can cope. What I dislike is that we still had to learn the Emperor's military code of order, memorise "The Imperial Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors" and later recite them to the sergeants. It's almost the same as school or maybe it's exactly the same.
                 The next thing is that they punished us even for the smallest things. I have seen people being sent back home because of the tough training, or maybe because of the punishment they gave. But not me. I have to finish what I have started. I can't be sent back home now. I will not let the Japanese win.

No comments:

Post a Comment